Written by James Hall | 0 Comments | Last Updated: March 20, 2017
When it comes to vacuums, Dyson undoubtedly has one of the strongest reputations for reliable, powerful models. So it’s no surprise that the company has made quite a splash with its popular cordless vacuums. In this review, we’re going to focus on the Dyson DC44 Animal cordless vacuum cleaner – a high-end model which Dyson claims has the most powerful motor of any cordless vacuum.
Not only that, but it comes with Dyson’s 2 year guarantee (for both parts and labour) and head that automatically removes both ground-in dirt and fine dust. It sounds like an impressive model on paper – but let’s dig deeper to see if it’s worth the money.
- The DC44 Animal is powered by Dyson’s digital motor which the company claims is more powerful than any other cordless vacuum.
- Slim design that’s perfectly weighted for convenient cleaning.
- Mini-motorised tool that can be attached in place of the wand and used to vacuum dirt and pet hair from difficult-to-reach places.
- 20 minutes regular run-time; 8 minutes run-time for “high suction” mode.
- Floor tool with two brush types – one for getting rid of dirt that’s been ground into the carpet, another for sucking up fine dust.
- Dyson’s “Root Cyclone” technology that prevents the vacuum suffering from loss of suction towards the end of its battery life.
In-depth Look at the Dyson DC44 Animal
There’s no doubt that the DC44 Animal has an impressive array of features. But how does it handle everyday cleaning? And do the impressive features justify the cost? Let’s dig deeper to find out.
Appearance and Design
As you’d expect, the Dyson DC44 cordless vacuum has a beautiful slimline design that certainly stands out from other models in this category. The body of the vacuum is a deep blue, while the silver head and handle provide a classy finishing touch.
The wand is made with lightweight aluminium, and can be used for cleaning ceilings as you don’t need to worry about a cord. You can also detach the wand and replace it with a motorised tool, which is perfect for cleaning up small dry spillages or your car.
An interesting note is that the centre of gravity is located nearer the handle than other models. This makes it much easier to clean ceilings compared with models with a centre of gravity closer to the floor.
Battery Life and Power
The battery lasts approximately 20 minutes in regular cleaning mode. You can also use “Boost” mode for extra suction when needed, but this reduces the run-time to around 8 minutes. The run-time is significantly shorter than other models, such as the Gtech AirRam, but is still long enough for most cleaning jobs.
As a bonus, the DC44 Animal is built with “Root Cyclone” technology. This stops battery power fading as it starts to run out.
According to reviewers, it takes approximately five hours to charge from empty. The charging also seems to stop when full, which helps save energy.
When it comes to suction power, the Dyson DC44 Animal is one of the top dogs in the cordless market. In fact, Dyson boldly claims that this is the most powerful cordless vacuum. As this is a vacuum built specifically for vacuuming pet hair, we’re glad to hear that Dyson have placed a lot of focus on balancing power and run-time.
So how does Dyson generate this extra power? The digital motor inside the DC44 animal is smaller than a regular vacuum motor, but spins approximately 3x faster. Despite this extra power, the motor is lighter than most electric motors.
It’s important to remember that cordless vacuums often can’t reach the suction power of regular vacuums – at least not yet. For most jobs, the DC44 Animal has enough suction power for an excellent clean, but if you’re used to a high powered model it may be a step down.
Ease of Use
Cordless vacuums are all about convenience, but the Dyson DC44 Animal takes this to a next level compared with many other models. Here’s a list of just some of its convenience and usability features:
- Mini tool (motorised) that’s perfect for vacuuming difficult to reach places, stairs and cars.
- Comfortable grip for cleaning from floor to ceiling in your home.
- Motorised floor tool with two different brushes – one for cleaning up fine dust and another for getting up more difficult dirt. The powerful motor drives both brushes to get up as much dirt as possible.
- The long wand is perfect for reaching high ceilings – but it can also be replaced with a motorised head.
- The head is able to pivot a full 180 degrees without losing contact with the floor.
- You don’t need to adjust the vacuum when switching between hard floors and carpets. The DC44 Animal does this automatically.
- As the DC44 Animal is bagless and comes with washable filters, you save money by not having to replace either of these items.
The filters provided with the DC44 Animal cordless vacuum are washable. This means can easily be cleaned to maintain suction power, and shouldn’t need to be replaced. The vacuum doesn’t come with a HEPA filter though – which is something to keep in mind if you have asthma or a dust allergy.
The price of the Dyson DC44 Animal is relatively high compared to other cordless models. However, we think the features and usability go a long way to justifying this price tag. You also get Dyson’s 2 year warranty, which provides extra peace of mind.
There are, however, less powerful cordless options available if suction power isn’t a priority. So if your budget doesn’t stretch far enough, there are some alternatives that can do a good job.
Inside the box is the wand, floor tool, mini-motorised floor tool, docking station, combination brush/debris nozzle tool and crevice tool. You don’t get many advanced tools or accessories with the basic DC44 Animal, although the combination of brushes can tackle most cleaning jobs.
- Boost mode for when you need stronger suction.
- V-Ball technology, combined with the 180 degree pivot, makes manoeuvring the DC44 Animal a breeze.
- Dyson’s 2 year warranty for both parts and labour.
Dyson DC44 Animal Cordless Vacuum Cleaner Reviews
The reviews have been largely positive, with the product receiving hundreds of great ratings on online shopping sites. There are some positives and negatives mentioned by reviewers though. Let’s start with the positive:
- A reviewer writes that the DC44 has a lot of power compared with other cordless models. The reviewer also adds that it works well on almost any surface, including long pile and short pile carpets, wood and lino.
- Reviewers are happy with how effectively the DC44 Animal picks up pet hair – including both dog and cat hair.
- Another reviewer writes that she loves how the DC44 Animal doesn’t lose power as the battery runs out, and how the head pulls up even long hairs from the carpet.
And here are some of the negatives:
- One reviewer mentions that their DC44, while performing well, has needed to be fixed several times. These fixes have been covered by Dyson’s warranty, and it’s difficult to know whether this is just an issue with his specific model, but is worth noting.
- A downside mentioned by several reviewers is that you need to keep your finger on the switch while in use. This can potentially cause your finger to get tired – and is certainly a concern if you plan on using it for long periods. This conserves battery life, but could be an annoyance.
We think the Dyson DC44 Animal cordless vacuum cleaner is an excellent model – although it’s touch and go whether it justifies its high price tag. While it doesn’t provide the suction power of a mains vacuum, it’s one of the more powerful cordless models on the market at the moment. The fact that it can be used for carpets, ceilings, cars and even difficult to reach areas of your home also mean it’s highly versatile. For the price for the DC44, click here.