Written by James Hall | 0 Comments | Last Updated: March 20, 2017
Miele Complete C3 PowerLine Cylinder Vacuum
- High powered cylinder with excellent suction power
- Relatively lightweight for a powerful vacuum
- Can handle any type of floor
- Great at cleaning pet hair
- Some reviewers complain suction power is too strong
The Miele Complete C3 PowerLine cylinder vacuum is a sleek, stylish model that’s been received extremely well by buyers. It’s got a powerful 1600W motor, which is effective at picking up dirt from carpets and hard floors, along with a large 11 metre operating radius. Not only that, but it has one of the highest average ratings on online shopping sites for any vacuum cleaner (at the time of writing in early 2016).
As always, we wanted to dig deeper than just the bare features of the vacuum though. So, in this review, we’re going to look at the Miele Complete C3 in more detail – including its suction power, ease of use, filtration system and much more. If you want to see our list of the best Miele vacuums then follow the link, otherwise let’s get started!
Overview of Miele Complete C3 Features
- The Miele Complete C3 is designed to be an all-round vacuum cleaner. With a 1600W motor, it’s more than capable of high performance on both carpets and hard floors.
- A large 11 metre operating radius means you can clean bigger areas of your home without having to stop and change plug sockets.
- The three stage filtration system is effective at reducing the amount of allergens and dust released into the air.
- It is a bagged vacuum – although it uses specially designed “fleece” bags to filter more dust than basic bags.
- The bag also automatically shuts as you open the vacuum, stopping dust from being released back into the air.
- It comes with three accessories – upholstery nozzle, dusting brush and crevice nozzle.
In-depth Look at Miele Complete C3 Cylinder Vacuum
The Miele Complete C3 is clearly a popular vacuum. But is that popularity deserved? Or are there better vacuums out there for the same price? Let’s take a closer look at some of the main features of the vacuum to get a better sense of its quality.
Appearance and Design
We have to say that the Miele Complete C3 is one of the best looking cylinder vacuum cleaners we’ve seen. The sleek black finish of the body, and attractive silver hose and head, strongly suggest a quality build.
It is, however, a relatively tall cylinder vacuum cleaner, with a height of 59cm. The complete dimensions are 59x38x32cm, which makes it significantly taller than models such as the Zanussi ZAN300EL. It’s still comfortable to move around your home, but the height is something to keep in mind when deciding where to store the vacuum.
The capacity of the Miele Complete C3 PowerLine is 4.5 litres. This is much less than the huge Numatic Henry, but still larger than many other vacuums. It should be big enough to avoid needing to empty the vacuum after every cleaning session.
As you’d expect from a 1600W motor, the Miele Complete C3 excels when it comes to suction power. The strong suction also means it’s great for both carpets and hard floor cleaning.
Side note: The EU, in 2014, stipulated that all vacuums must have a maximum output of 1600W. The previous model to the C3 had 2200W of power, which provided greater suction. However, the loss of suction from 2200W to 1600W is minimal – mainly due to the vacuum’s filters and bags becoming more efficient. This means the C3 is capable of similar suction power while using 33% less power.
Ease of Use
With the C3, Miele have designed a cylinder vacuum that’s both versatile and easy to use. Here’s a brief run-down of some of the usability features:
- With a weight of 5kg, the Miele C3 isn’t the lightest cordless vacuum, but it’s also not heavy.
- The vacuum has a cleaning radius of 11 metres, so you won’t have to keep changing socket.
- The C3 has a “One Touch” rewind function.
- Several cleaning modes are included for different tasks.
- The bags automatically close when the vacuum is opened, so dust doesn’t escape.
- Unlike circular vacuums, the design means it can stand on steps without falling over.
Aside from specific features, the C3 has been put through extensive testing to make sure it’s reliable and long-lasting. In fact, the floor heads have had 600 miles of testing on a variety of different floors, and the motor has passed a test of over 1000 hours of continuous usage. This, according to Miele, works out at around 20 years of regular use – an impressive claim that certainly provides extra peace of mind.
It’s worth clarifying that this is a bagged vacuum cleaner. While bagged vacuums tend to be cheaper upfront, the extra cost and reduced convenience of using bags is something to keep in mind.
The C3 uses a three-step filtration process. These steps are built into the body, and help to remove odours, dust and allergens. In addition to this, a fleece is used as part of the bags to filter even more dust.
Unfortunately, the Miele C3 doesn’t come with a HEPA filter. If you have asthma or a dust allergy, this might be an issue.
The RRP of the Miele Complete C3 is £200, which is relatively expensive for a cylinder vacuum. However, we believe that the excellent performance, design and features of the C3 make it worth this price.
The good news is that there are often deals around that are considerably less than the RRP – making the C3 one of the top cylinder vacuums in terms of value for money.
Several accessories are included with the C3. These are an upholstery nozzle, dusting brush and crevice nozzle.
Each of these accessories can be easily stored on the body of the vacuum, so you’ll be less likely to lose them.
- Electronic power controls to adjust the level of suction.
- SBD 285-3 floor head with a metal plate, allowing it to slide easily over carpets, and extra wide threads.
- Rubber wheels for smooth movement without marking your floors.
Miele Complete C3 PowerLine Reviews
The C3, as we mentioned earlier, has received one of the highest average ratings we’ve seen on major review sites (as of March 2016). Here are some of the positive comments from buyers:
- One person writes that the vacuum never seems to lose suction, and that it is the “best” vacuum she has ever used.
- Another has been a professional cleaner for over 20 years, and claims the C3 is one of the best vacuums he’s used. He mentions that the vacuum is easy to carry, has lots of suction power and is efficient on any surface – including uneven floors.
- A reviewer writes that the C3 “oozes” quality – and we have to agree. He especially likes the high-quality materials and attractive finish, but saves his strongest praise for the long hose and lightweight build.
- A buyer writes that she’s impressed how easily the C3 vacuums up pet hair.
And some negative comments:
- One reviewer mentions that the suction power is too strong, which makes it difficult to vacuum carpets. This may be alleviated by using a lower power setting – although the reviewer didn’t mention if he had tried this.
We think the Miele Complete C3 PowerLine is amongst the best cylinder vacuums on the market, which is why we’ve awarded it one of our highest overall ratings. It’s powerful, looks fantastic and has a reasonable dust capacity. The only let down is the lack of a HEPA filter, but the 3-stage filtration system should be good enough for most people. To see the price of the C3, click here.