Written by James Hall | 0 Comments | Last Updated: March 20, 2017
If you’re looking for a wet and dry vacuum cleaner but don’t want to spend a lot of money, the Draper 06489 could be the answer. It’s a powerful little vacuum that can handle everyday tasks, and has a reasonably large 10 litre capacity. It’s also been well received by buyers.
Even so, we wanted to take a closer look at the vacuum. How does the suction compare to more expensive wet and dry models? And is the 10 litre capacity too small? That’s what we’re aiming to find out in this Draper 06489 wet and dry vacuum cleaner review.
Overview of Draper 06489 Features
- The Draper 06489 is designed to pick up both dry and wet materials.
- Two filters are included with the vacuum – a washable cloth filter and a foam filter. Switching these changes the vacuum between dry and wet modes.
- It has a 10 litre capacity tank so you’ll spend less time emptying the vacuum (compared with upright models).
- It’s also one of the lightest wet and dry vacuums at just 3.8kg.
- The 06489 comes with 12 accessories for versatile cleaning around the home. These include a crevice nozzle, utility nozzle and shoulder strap.
- The vacuum also comes with Draper’s guarantee.
In-depth Look at the Draper 06489
Appearance and Design
The Draper 06489 wet and dry vacuum cleaner is a relatively simple model and this is reflected in its basic appearance. There is none of the space-age style you find on modern uprights, but considering this is a vacuum that’s built for functionality this isn’t a major issue.
One thing we like about the Draper 06489 is that there is an on-board tool holder. This might sound like a small detail, but can make vacuuming much more convenient. It also reduces the chances of losing one of the useful tools.
The vacuum is powered by a 1000W motor. This isn’t as powerful as models such as the Numatic Charles, but provides more than enough raw power for excellent suction.
This seems to be backed up by reviewers, who often mention that the Draper 06489 offers ample suction. One person even recommends the vacuum as suitable for a dog grooming parlour, where wet dog hair is a constant problem. If it can deal with wet dog hair, it can deal with almost anything.
The vacuum has a foam filter when sucking water and washable cloth filter for dust and dirt. These filters need to be swapped when you want to change mode.
The Draper 06489 has a 10 litre tank. This is a relatively large capacity, although it can’t match the 15 dry litre capacity of the recently reviewed Numatic Charles.
Even so, Draper recommends this model for both home use and car cleaning, and we agree that the capacity should be more than enough for these purposes. For industrial usage, however, you might want to look at models with a more spacious tank.
Ease of Use
If you hate the idea of spending hours reading a vacuum’s manual just to find out how to turn it on, the Draper 06489’s simplistic design will be a relief. Instead of numerous features and settings to worry about, the Draper provides powerful suction without the fuss.
The only difficult part about using the Draper is when you want to switch from wet to dry mode (and vice versa). This requires you to change filter type. While switching filters is common for a wet-dry vacuum, reviewers mention that it is fiddly to do with the Draper.
Additionally, the lightweight design of the vacuum makes it easy to use both indoors and outdoors. Weighing only 3.8kg, the vacuum is one of the lightest in this category.
The low price of the Draper 06489 wet and dry vacuum cleaner is one of its biggest selling points. With an RRP of just under £70, this is one of the cheapest wet and dry vacuums that still provides strong suction performance. As the vacuum has been available for several years, you can often find it cheaper than this too.
For these reasons, we think the Draper 06489 provides excellent value for money. It doesn’t have many advanced features, but its suction is very strong, and the accessories (see below) make it a versatile choice.
There are a number of accessories included with the Draper 06489. A few examples include:
- Extension tube for reaching ceiling corners and other difficult places
- Crevice nozzle
- Wide angled crevice nozzle
- Upholstery attachment
- Utility nozzle
- Mini cleaning kit
- Round brush
- Shoulder strap
All the accessories are 35mm in diameter, aside from the mini cleaning kit which is 17mm.
- The hose is 1.5 metres long and comes with air control feature.
- The 06489 is covered by Draper’s guarantee.
Draper 06489 Wet and Dry Reviews
Despite its low price and relatively basic feature set, the Draper 06489 wet and dry vacuum cleaner has received glowing reviews from many buyers online. It also has a high average rating on online shopping sites (at the time of writing). Here’s an overview of positive comments about the vacuum:
- One reviewer starts her review by writing that she “could not have found a better product.” Although she would have liked a larger capacity, she writes the 9 litre tank provides exceptional value. She also praises how the attachments are varied enough to access almost any crevice in her home.
- A reviewer writes that the vacuum is powerful and lightweight. He adds that it’s perfect for cleaning his car, and especially useful when someone spills tea of coffee.
- One satisfied buyer likes how the vacuum can be used both indoors and outdoors. She also mentions that it’s perfect for even large spillages.
- A happy reviewer starts his review by saying that the Draper 06489 is an “excellent little machine.” He adds that it’s great for getting into all the nooks and crannies in his car, and that he thinks it’s worth every penny.
And here are some negative comments:
- A reviewer mentions that switching filters, to change between wet and dry modes, is fiddlier than it could be.
- Another reviewer writes that when the vacuum is close to a third full it begins to spit water out. This seems to be an isolated incident though, as no other reviewer mentions this has been a problem.
Overall, the Draper 06489 vacuum is an excellent model – but it’s not perfect. The main downside is the moderate capacity and lack of advanced features. While these are to be expected from a cheap wet and dry vacuum, it’s important to be aware of the models limitations before you buy.
If you’re looking for an industrial size vacuum cleaner to suck up large spills, then the Draper 06489 may not be the best option. But for home cleaning, car valeting, sucking up spilt drinks and other everyday tasks, it does an excellent job considering the low price.
For these reasons, we think the Draper 06489 wet and dry vacuum cleaner provides excellent value for money. Click here to view the vacuum’s price.