Written by James Hall | 0 Comments | Last Updated: March 20, 2017
At first glance, you might think the Vax 6131T 3-in-1 Multivax dry vacuum and carpet washer is from the 1970s – and you would be correct. The model, in various forms, has been available for over 30 years, although it has received considerable upgrades in that time.
The Vax 6131T is a “no frills” vacuum and carpet cleaner that can clean, vacuum and suck up liquids, which is why we’ve added it to our Wet and Dry category. It doesn’t come with many advanced features, but considering the low price and strong ratings it still provides excellent value.
In this Vax 6131T review, we’re going to go through the main features of the vacuum in detail, before providing an overview of praise and complaints from buyers. If, however, you’re looking for a more traditional model from Vax, check out this page.
Overview of Vax 6131T 3-in-1 Multivax Features
- The Vax 6131T can vacuum hard floors and carpets, wash carpets and suck up liquids.
- It comes with a “Fibreflow” design so the head glides over the carpet when in wash mode.
- The combination floor head can switch between hard floor and carpet vacuuming via a simple switch.
- It has a 10 litre dust capacity, which is larger than upright or cylinder vacuums in the same price range.
- For carpet cleaning, the clean capacity is four litres while the dirty capacity is a generous eight litres.
- The Vax 6131T is a bagged vacuum, which makes it easier to empty if you are allergic to dust.
- A variety of tools are included along with onboard storage.
- Vax offers a two year guarantee when buying the Vax 6131T in the UK.
In-Depth Look at the Vax 6131T 3-in-1 Multivax
Appearance and Design
The Vax 6131T has an industrial style that may or may not suit your tastes. The bright orange colouring gives the sense that this is a serious cleaning tool – not just a home vacuum.
In terms of the design, the Vax 6131T is relatively simple. It has a 10 litre dust capacity tank, so you won’t need to empty it as often, and five wheels. This makes it easy to push around and much more stable than three wheeled designs (although there are reports of the vacuum being too “top heavy”).
Switching to cleaning mode is also simple and can be completed in less than five minutes. To switch, you need to remove the filter and dust bag, before filling up the solution tank with carpet cleaner and warm water (in the correct quantities). The tank can then be placed into the canister. The final step is to attach the solution tube and wash tool.
This process might become tiresome if you plan to switch between carpet and dry cleaning modes regularly. However, for occasional home carpet cleaning the process is simple enough. Alternatively, you might just decide to use it as permanent carpet cleaner.
Finally, the 8kg weight of the Vax 6131T might sound like a lot – especially compared with other wet and dry vacuums such as the Draper 06489 (which weighs less than 4kg). This isn’t a fair comparison though, as the Vax is a true carpet cleaner as well as a vacuum. When compared to other carpet cleaners, the Vax 6131T is one of the lightest on the market at the moment.
Suction and Cleaning Power
When in dry vacuum mode, the 1300W motor of the Vax 6131T should provide ample suction power. The 10 litre dust capacity also means you won’t have to empty it often despite the strong suction.
The same can be said about the cleaning mode. But keep in mind that the vacuum doesn’t come with rotating brushes like more expensive models – the cleaning head is a more conventional style.
The Vax 6131T 3-in-1 Multivax dry vacuum cleaner and carpet washer only comes with a standard filter.
If you plan to mainly use the Vax 6131T as a dry vacuum with the occasional carpet clean, this might be an issue if you have a dust allergy or asthma. For carpet cleaning, however, this lack of advanced filtration isn’t so much of an issue.
Dust/Clean Water Capacity
When in dry mode, the Vax 6131T has a dust capacity of 10 litres. This is relatively large, although for industrial uses you may want to consider a larger model such as the Numatic Charles (which has a 15 litre capacity).
After switching to cleaning mode, the machine can hold up to four litres of clean water and eight litres of dirty water. This helps reduce the need for regularly emptying the cleaner while cleaning carpets.
Ease of Use
The simple design and lack of advanced features makes the Vax 6131T very easy to use. Switching between dry and cleaning modes is straightforward, if a little fiddly, and once done a few times becomes second nature. The ability to quickly switch the vacuum head between carpet and hard floor modes also allows for a more efficient cleaning process.
In terms of cleaning radius, the Vax 6131T is listed as having a hose length of 2.5 metres and a cord length of 10 metres. While this isn’t the largest cleaning radius – the Numatic Charles has almost double – it can still clean a reasonable area before you need to change plug socket.
The Vax 6131T 3-in-1 Multivax is designed for simplicity. You shouldn’t expect advanced carpet cleaning features, such as heated cleaning, but the powerful motor and ability to tackle almost any home cleaning problem means it provides excellent value.
A number of accessories are included with the Vax 6131T 3-in-1. The combination floor head and Fibreflow wash head are the two most important tools, but it also comes with a crevice tool, upholstery tool and dusting brush. On-board storage for tools is provided.
Unfortunately, no powered hand tool attachments are provided with the Vax 6131T. This is to be expected, considering the low price of the model.
- The width of the cleaning head is 26cm.
- Vax offers a two year guarantee when buying the Vax 6131T in the UK.
Vax 6131T 3-in-1 Multivax Reviews
The Vax 6131T 3-in-1 has received positive reviews from buyers, and has a high average rating on shopping sites at the time of writing. Here is a selection of positive comments about the vacuum:
- One reviewer writes that the Vax 6131T is easy to setup. He was also impressed by the amount of dirt and dust the carpet cleaner managed to remove from his carpet. He finishes his review by saying the Vax has been “money well spent.”
- A reviewer writes that the Vax is very powerful when in dry vacuum mode – so powerful, in fact, that it’s almost impossible to push the head on carpet without opening part of the release gate. This is important, as the vacuum is probably the function you’re going to be using most (unless you plan to use the carpet cleaner for industrial purposes). He also writes that he was “amazed” at how much dirt was removed from his carpet after using the cleaning mode.
- A reviewer writes that the Vax 6131T provides “fantastic value for money.” She writes that the vacuum provides good suction power, and managed to suck up a lot of dirt and dust even though she’d vacuumed with her old model just a few hours before. She adds that switching to carpet washing mode takes around five minutes, and she’s been impressed with how thoroughly the model cleans.
And some negative comments:
- A reviewer mentions that the clips between the canister and motor appear to be relatively weak.
- Some reviewers complain that the vacuum is too top heavy, and can often fall over when in use.
- One reviewer writes that switching between the dry and cleaning modes is “cumbersome.” He adds that removing the dust bag is difficult without getting your hands dirty.
When it comes to value for money and versatility, the Vax 6131T 3-in-1 Multivax is an outstanding model. While it doesn’t come with advanced cleaning or vacuuming features, it has a powerful motor and provides “no fuss” performance. Its appearance might not suit everyone’s tastes, but the simple design and strong motor mean this is a model to consider if you want an all-round cleaning tool. For the vacuum’s price, click here.