Need to clean your Dyson V10 dust bin? Here’s our guide to cleaning this vacuum’s bin and removing stubborn grime (including pictures).
The Dyson Cyclone V10 has a transparent dust bin that holds a decent amount of dirt for a cordless. However, the bin can become dirty over time, just like any bagless vacuum.
Fortunately, it’s easy to remove and clean the Dyson V10’s bin. Here’s a step-by-step guide to freshening up the bin and removing dried dirt.
1. Empty the Dyson V10 Dust Bin
Before you can clean the bin, it’s important to get rid of as much loose debris as possible. We’ve written a separate guide to emptying the V10, but here’s the basic process:
- Detach the wand (or tools). You can’t empty the Dyson V10 until all attachments have been removed from the vacuum. It’s also important to unplug the V10 from its charger.
- Hold the vacuum pointing into a bin. One of the great things about the V10 is that it has Dyson’s “Point and Shoot” emptying system. This allows you to hold the vacuum deeper inside the bin, to minimise the amount of dust that escapes. We still recommend emptying it into an outdoor bin when possible though.
- Use the red slider to empty the V10. Push the slider away from you to open the trap door and empty the vacuum. This sliding mechanism also pushes the V10’s internal collar down the shroud, which helps to remove clumps of hair and dirt.
Once you’ve emptied the vacuum, don’t close it again. The dust bin needs to remain in a forward position to access the removal button.
2. Remove The Bin
With the bin in its forward position, press the bin release button (it has an arrow on it) and slide the bin off the vacuum cleaner.
The bin is now ready to be washed.
Note: Never try to wash the V10’s dust bin while it’s still attached to the vacuum cleaner. Doing so risks getting water in the electronics, which could cause permanent damage and even an electric shock.
3. Wash The Bin With a Damp Cloth
Start by rinsing the bin in cold water. Then use a damp, soft cloth to wipe away any stubborn patches of dirt or grime.
It’s important to only use fresh water when cleaning the dust bin. Dyson’s instructions say that you shouldn’t use any cleaning products, as the residue could cause damage to the motor.
The bin is not dishwasher-safe, so you should always clean it by hand.
4. Allow The Bin to Dry Fully
Once the dust bin has been cleaned, it’s very important to allow time for it to completely dry. There are several reasons for this:
- Moisture in the bin will attract dirt, dust, and other debris when you use the vacuum. This will undo all your hard work cleaning the bin.
- Any moisture that’s inside the bin could be sucked into the motor, which is dangerous for both you and the vacuum.
- A damp bin is a perfect place for mould to grow.
The seals are often the slowest part of the bin to dry, so check these areas to make sure there’s no moisture remaining.
5. Re-Fit The Bin
When you’re satisfied that the bin is dry, you can refit it onto the main vacuum body.
To do this, line up the spine onto the runner, then gently push the bin upwards until it clicks into place. You’ll also need to close the bin lid.
And you’re finished! The Dyson V10’s bin should now look much cleaner.
Related Article: How to Clean a Dyson Cordless Filter
We think the Dyson V10 is an excellent vacuum cleaner. During our tests, we were impressed by its all-around cleaning power and versatility. We also think it provides value for money, despite being one of the most expensive cordless vacuums on the market.
It’s important to maintain the V10 to keep it performing at its best though. Cleaning the bin is an essential maintenance job, as it prevents grime build-up that could block the filter and cause the vacuum to emit an unpleasant odour.
The good news is that Dyson has made it easy to remove the V10’s bin for cleaning. Just make sure that you only use water, as cleaning products could damage the vacuum.
Do you have any questions about how to clean the Dyson V10’s dust bin? Or do you have other questions about how to maintain this vacuum? Please let us know in the comments section below. You may also want to read our guide to changing the V10’s battery.