Written by James Hall | 1 Comment | Last Updated: July 12, 2017
Bosch BCH625KTGB Athlet
The Bosch BCH625KTGB Athlet cordless vacuum cleaner has an almost-futuristic appearance and a range of interesting features. It also has one of the longest run-times of any cordless vacuum we’ve reviewed so far, lasting up to 60 minutes on a single charge. But does it have enough features to warrant the high price tag? And how much suction power does it provide? Let’s find out.
Overview of Bosch BCH625KTGB Features
- The Bosch BCH625KTGB can last up to 60 minutes on a single battery charge, which is significantly longer than most cordless vacuums.
- This extra battery life is possible due to the three different power levels, which includes a “Turbo” mode when you need extra suction, and the 25.2V Lithium-ion battery.
- The motorised brush is designed for efficient dirt and dust removal on all surfaces.
- Bosch has included SensorBagless technology in the BCH625KTGB. This allows the vacuum to maintain a high level of suction while warning you when the filter needs cleaning.
- The capacity is 0.9L, which is larger than many cordless vacuums and means you won’t have to worry about emptying the canister as often.
- An accessory kit with crevice tool, upholstery tool and shoulder strap is included.
In-Depth Look at the Bosch BCH625KTGB Athlet
If you’re looking for a cordless that can truly replace your regular upright vacuum, the Bosch BCH625KTGB Athlet seems to have all the features you need – at least on paper. Now let’s take a closer look at the model to see whether it’s as powerful and versatile as it appears on the surface.
Appearance and Design
Many cordless vacuums are built with a slim design to make it easier to vacuum ceilings and other high places. The Bosch BCH625KTGB is lightweight, but has more of a traditional design than the Gtech AirRam or Dyson DC44.
As we mentioned in the introduction, it’s a stylish model with a futuristic design. The white colour scheme also lends a clean and crisp appearance. Here are some photos so you can see for yourself:
Battery Life and Power
The Bosch BCH625KTGB Athlet has an impressive battery life of up to 60 minutes. This is one of the longest run times we’ve seen, and means you won’t have to worry about recharging the vacuum in the middle of a cleaning session.
You do, however, need to be aware that this is the maximum run-time that can be achieved when using the least powerful setting. This setting is great for quick cleaning jobs, but for normal jobs you’ll probably use “Level 2” which shortens the battery life. And, if you want to unleash the full power of the BCH625KTGB, a turbo mode is available – although this will clearly have a much shorter run-time.
The battery is a Lithium-ion model, which is one of the reasons why the run-time is longer than other models. This battery requires approximately six hours to fully charge, although you can charge it to 80% in half that time when in a rush. The vacuum has a useful LED display to let you know exactly how much battery power is available.
As we mentioned in the previous section, the Bosch BCH625KTGB has three different suction power modes, depending on the type of job you need. This makes it more difficult to judge the true power of the model – but is definitely a bonus feature as you don’t always need full power.
However, it seems from reviews that the vacuum provides excellent suction power and is easily capable of getting rid of ground-in fluff, pet hair and other tricky items. We recommend the Animal version of the Athlet range if your home is covered in pet hair though (check out our cordless pet vacuum reviews for more information).
Ease of Use
Cordless vacuums are designed to be simple and convenient to use, so let’s take a close look at some of the usability features of the Bosch BCH625KTGB:
- The actual vacuum only weighs 3kg, making it easy to carry and not too tiring to use during long cleaning sessions.
- It is a bagless vacuum so you don’t need to worry about fiddling with dusty bags.
- The Bosch BCH625KTGB monitors airflow continuously and even tells you when the filter needs to be cleaned.
- The floor brush is built with a flexible joint allowing you to clean around furniture.
The Bosch BCH625KTGB Athlet cordless vacuum cleaner comes with a washable filter. This filter should last the lifetime of the vacuum, so you won’t need to spend money on new ones. The great thing about washable filters is you can easily maintain suction power without needing to buy new filters.
A downside is the Bosch BCH625KTGB doesn’t come with a HEPA filter. So if you need better filtration of small particles due to asthma or allergies, you may want to look for a model with a HEPA filter (to view Bosch cleaners with HEPA filters, click here.)
As the Bosch BCH625KTGB is at the higher end of the home cordless vacuum market, one of the big questions is whether it’s worth the price. Considering the strong suction power, long battery life and lightweight design, we think it’s an excellent model. If your budget doesn’t stretch this far, however, there are some cheaper options available – such as the Morphy Richards 732000.
The BCH625KTGB comes with a small accessory kit which includes:
- Hose for cleaning difficult to reach areas
- Shoulder strap for easier carrying
- Crevice tool
- Upholstery nozzles
- Able to stand under its own weight for easier storage.
- Built with Bosch’s “LongLife” motor that is designed for greater reliability and performance.
- Relatively large 0.9L dust capacity, which is larger than many other cordless vacuums.
- Ergonomic soft grip for more comfortable cleaning.
Bosch BCH625KTGB Athlet Cordless Vacuum Cleaner Reviews
Since its release in 2014, the Bosch BCH625KTGB has become a popular model amongst people looking for a replacement for their standard upright vacuum. It has received excellent reviews and has a high average rating on online shopping sites (at the time of writing in October 2016). Here are a few examples of positive comments from buyers:
- A reviewer writes that the BCH625KTGB nearly filled an entire container with dust, dog hair and dirt when she first used it – even though she’d cleaned with her old vacuum the day before.
- Another loved having three power settings for more control over how the battery run-time is used. She also adds that her carpets looked “almost new” after cleaning with the BCH625KTGB.
- One reviewer praises the overall performance of the BCH625KTGB, including the cordless design, suction power and ability to vacuum effectively on almost any type of floor. She also describes using the vacuum as “stress-free” – which cannot be said for many vacuums!
- A happy buyer writes that the Bosch BCH625KTGB Athlet seems to provide greater suction power than his old Dyson.
And here are some of the negative comments:
- Several reviewers mention that, while the upright vacuum itself is excellent, the tools are fiddly to attach or remove.
- A reviewer writes that he was disappointed with the capacity of the BCH625KTGB, as he needed to empty the canister after almost every use.
- Reviewers also mention that the hand held option is disappointing, as it’s difficult to remove this component and it doesn’t have the same suction power as the upright mode.
The Bosch BCH625KTGB Athlet is one of our favourite cordless upright vacuums. It has everything you need from an upright replacement – long run-time, excellent suction power and an ergonomic design. While it is let down by the fiddly nature of its tools, overall we think the BCH625KTGB is good choice if you’re looking for a cordless upright vacuum. Click here to view the vacuum’s price.