Our Verdict: The Gtech AirRam was an excellent vacuum for its time – but it’s since been overtaken in both cleaning performance and features by many cordless vacs (including the Gtech AirRam Mk2.) We’ve adjusted our review score to reflect this.
- 40 minute run-time
- Swivel head and low profile design
- Decent suction power for a cordless
- Loud motor
- No accessories (partly counteracted by low-profile)
As you may know, the original Gtech AirRam has been replaced by the Gtech AirRam Mk2. Here’s our review of the original for reference purposes – but we highly recommend reading our Mk2 review instead.
The Gtech AirRam cordless vacuum cleaner might not look as advanced as other cordless vacuums on the market, but don’t let that fool you – this is an exceptional model with performance that justifies its high price tag. It was first released in 2012, but is still going strong.
Why is it such a popular cordless vacuum? And what do you get for your money? Let’s find out!
Important: Want to learn about the Gtech AirRam’s newer sibling, the AirRam Mk2? Click here for our in-depth review of the Gtech AirRam Mk2.
Overview of Gtech AirRam Features
- Designed to match the performance of mains-powered upright vacuums with the convenience of cordless technology.
- Strong suction power on both hard floors and carpets.
- Lightweight at just 3.5kg.
- A run-time of up to 40 minutes from a single charge due to the Lithium-ion battery.
- Low profile vacuum making it easy to clean under furniture.
- Highly energy efficient using just 100W of energy (compared to 1000+ for many other upright vacuums).
- Data connection between the vacuum and a PC (via USB) for calculating energy saved and battery life.
In-Depth Look at the Gtech AirRam
So now we know the AirRam is a popular model with a low-profile design and relatively long run-time. Now let’s take a deeper look at some of its features.
Note: There is a newer version of the AirRam, the AirRam Mk2, now available.
The AirRam is a stylish vacuum with a sleek grey colour scheme and low profile design. Check out the pictures below for a better idea of how it looks.
Battery Life and Power
The Gtech AirRam cordless vacuum cleaner is powered by a Lithium-ion battery. Lithium-ion batteries usually last longer than alternatives, and in this case the run-time is a generous 40 minutes, which should be ample for all but the most thorough home cleaning session.
Charging the battery, once depleted, takes around four hours, but if you need it urgently a one-hour charge can give you a limited boost in power.
You might be wondering how the Gtech can last 40 minutes (which is significantly longer than other models). There are a few reasons, but one of the most important is that it saves energy by collecting dirt “bales” a few centimetres off the floor rather than spinning dirt in the canister.
The AirRam looks “barebones” when you first see it, so you could be forgiven for thinking it can’t possibly provide enough suction power for a deep clean. Fortunately, this isn’t the case.
To increase suction power, Gtech have included two fans – while most vacuums have one. This creates greater pressure differences resulting in stronger suction. It also means the AirRam is more adept at handling large chunks of dirt or other substances compared with many competitors.
While the suction power of the AirRam is impressive, it doesn’t quite have the same effect on thick carpet as high-end corded vacuums. Even so, it’s one of the more powerful cordless vacuums on the market.
Ease of Use
We’ll talk more about how convenient and simple the AirRam is to use in the reviews section, but there are a few things that stand out:
- The Gtech AirRam is a bagless vacuum cleaner. That means you don’t have to worry about emptying fiddly bags.
- To empty the vacuum, you just need to remove a tray – which we think is easier than emptying a regular canister.
- The low profile design of the vacuum means it’s easy to clean under furniture and other difficult places. And you don’t need to adjust any settings when moving between locations.
- The head can swivel 28 degrees, making it easy to manoeuvre around your home.
- The Gtech is designed to be as simple as possible to use. It only has an on-off switch – that’s it. The combination of low profile, swivel and lightweight design (it made our list of the the best lightweight vacuum cleaners) make it suitable for almost any floor cleaning task.
The lightweight design of the AirRam also makes it easy to clean stairs. When it comes to convenient vacuuming, there are few models that can match it.
The AirRam comes with washable filters that should last as long as the vacuum without needing to be replaced. These can be quickly removed for cleaning to maintain the efficiency of the vacuum. Unfortunately, the AirRam doesn’t come with a HEPA filter.
The Gtech AirRam is not a cheap model, but it’s not overly expensive either. It doesn’t come with a handheld option (although there is a “Multi” version available), so it probably isn’t as versatile as 2-in-1 cordless vacuums. We think it justifies its price due to its long run time and powerful suction for a cordless – and if you can find the Gtech AirRam best price deals, even better!
Clearly, the Gtech AirRam cordless vacuum cleaner has been designed with simplicity in mind. It doesn’t come with any accessories. In fact, the box contains just the vacuum and charger. We applaud Gtech for knowing exactly what they want to achieve with the AirRam – produce a powerful, long-lasting cordless vacuum that’s also lightweight. However, if you’re looking for multiple accessories or a vacuum that can clean upholstery, ceilings and other areas as well as the floor – this isn’t it.
- Simple LED lights that tell you how long until the vacuum is fully charged.
- Excellent at cleaning pet hair.
- Powerful brush bar to effectively lift dirt off both carpets and hard floors.
Gtech AirRam Reviews
One of the best ways to judge the performance of a vacuum is to read reviews from buyers. The Gtech AirRam cordless vacuum cleaner has received rave reviews from hundreds of people on shopping sites – so you can be fairly certain it is worth the money. Here’s a selection of some of the positive comments:
- A reviewer writes that the AirRam was simple to assemble and fully charged within four hours. She writes that the vacuum was “amazing” and felt “as light as a feather” on her first try.
- Another reviewer writes that she was horrified at how much dust and dirt the AirRam managed to suck up on her first try. She adds that this is an “excellent vacuum cleaner” and does far more than just push dirt around the carpets.
- Some reviewers mention that suction reaches the edge of the head, making it simple to vacuum skirting boards and other tight areas.
- The powerful suction is also praised, with reviewers happy with how efficiently the vacuum picks up pet hair.
And here are some negative comments about the Gtech:
- As the AirRam vacuums up a lot of dirt quickly, it can fill up fast. For this reason, reviewers recommend carrying plastic bags when vacuuming the entire house to empty the tray regularly. Fortunately, it takes less than a minute to empty. It’s also worth noting that a reviewer mentions the vacuum looks like it fills up quickly, but can push down dirt so it holds much more than you initially think.
- Several reviewers mention that the vacuum is relatively loud. If you’re looking for a quiet vacuum, the AirRam probably isn’t the answer.
- A common complaint is the lack of crevice tool. While the low profile and strong suction that reaches the edge of the head make up for this, it’s important to remember it has no accessories.
If you need a simple cordless vacuum cleaner that’s powerful and can easily clean your entire home with one charge, the Gtech AirRam is definitely one to consider. It provides excellent value for money, and the manoeuvrable design combined with extremely low profile head makes it convenient to use.
To finish, we’d love to hear from you if you own a Gtech AirRam. Do you like its low profile design? Or do you miss having accessories? Let us know in the comments!
We're sorry you didn't find this article useful!
Please tell us how we can improve this content in the box below: