Written by James Hall | 0 Comments | Last Updated: June 26, 2017
The Bosch BGL3ALLGB Compact Cylinder Vacuum is a popular model with a simple yet stylish design. It has a number of interesting features, such as its adjustable floor tool, and is also available for a very reasonable price.
As you probably guessed from the name, the BGL3ALLGB is smaller than many cylinder vacuums. This is great if you live in a flat or small home – or if you just don’t have anywhere to store your vacuum.
We recently reviewed another excellent compact bagged cylinder vacuum – the Zanussi ZAN3002EL – so you might be wondering how the Bosch compares. Does it provide greater suction power? And how does it score for convenience? Let’s find out.
Overview of Bosch BGL3ALLGB Compact Features
- The BGL3ALLGB is a compact vacuum cleaner that measures 28.7 x 40 x 26cm.
- Despite its small size, the vacuum is capable of tackling any type of floor, including carpet and hard flooring.
- It comes with a relatively generous 4 litre dust capacity, meaning you won’t have to empty the vacuum as often as small cylinders.
- Bosch has included their PowerProtect system with the BGL3ALLGB, so performance doesn’t drop as the bag is filled.
- The body of the vacuum is supported by four wheels for extra manoeuvrability.
- Tools, such as an upholstery tool and crevice nozzle, are included with the vacuum.
- The cable allows for a 10 metre cleaning radius.
- The Bosch BGL3ALLGB is a bagged model.
In-depth Look at the Bosch BGL3ALLGB
The BGL3ALLGB certainly has an impressive array of features, and we like that it’s a compact model. But how does the performance compare to more expensive cylinder vacuums (you can view all our reviews in the cylinder vacuum section)? Let’s take a detailed look at the features.
Appearance and Design
As you can see from the photos below, the Bosch BGL3ALLGB Compact All Floor vacuum is a stylish model with a modern black design. While it doesn’t have the “wow” factor of vacuums such as the Miele C3, it’s not an ugly machine either.
The compact size of the vacuum, combined with its relatively lightweight build, means it’s convenient and easy to store.
The BGL3ALLGB has a dust capacity of four litres. This compares favourably with other compact vacuums, and means you won’t need to empty it as often. The larger capacity also helps reduce the cost of buying new bags.
However, if you’re looking for a large capacity, you may want to consider a larger model. The Numatic HVR200-12 Henry, in particular, has a huge 9 litre capacity.
The Bosch BGL3ALLGB Compact is powered by an 800W motor – so you might expect that its suction power is dramatically reduced compared to other models (which often have wattage of 1200+). Fortunately, the lower power is offset by Bosch’s “HiSpin” motor, which increases airflow and suction power, without needing the same amount of power.
In fact, Bosch claims that the BGL3ALLGB has comparable suction power to a 2400W cleaner (these are no longer available due to EU regulations), despite the low wattage.
There is also a suction control option. This allows you to reduce or increase the suction power depending on the type of floor.
Ease of Use
Here’s an overview of the usability features:
- The BGL3ALLGB has a 10 metre operating radius. This means you don’t need to switch plug sockets as often.
- As we mentioned earlier, the body has four wheels so it can be easily manoeuvred around your home.
- The compact size also increases the vacuum’s mobility, while making it easier to store.
- The PowerProtect system stop the performance of the vacuum gradually dropping as the bag fills up. This doesn’t just improve performance though – it also saves you money on replacement bags.
- The floor tool can be adjusted for easy cleaning on both hard floors and carpets.
- The tube is telescopic for quickly reaching those tricky ceiling corners.
- An automatic rewind function is included for when you’ve finished cleaning.
- The dust bag indicator tells you when you need to replace the bag – no more guessing!
As with most low-end cylinder vacuums, the Bosch BGL3ALLGB doesn’t come with a HEPA filter. This could cause a problem if you have a dust allergy or suffer from asthma.
It does, however, come equipped with a basic hygiene filter. Bosch claims that this results in cleaner exhaust air, although we are surprised that more details about the filter aren’t provided.
The RRP of the Bosch BGL3ALLGB Compact All Floor vacuum cleaner is £119.99, which we think is a fair price for the features and power provided. This is more expensive than the Zanussi, but the Bosch should provide greater suction power due to the HiSpin motor.
Fortunately, you can often get great deals on vacuums – we’ve seen the BGL3ALLGB sold for considerably less than £100, which is an excellent deal.
The Bosch BGL3ALLGB Compact doesn’t come with any advanced or exotic accessories. Bosch has included several basic tools though, such as an upholstery tool and crevice nozzle.
Bosch BGL3ALLGB Compact Cylinder Vacuum Reviews
The BGL3ALLGB has many positive reviews and a high average rating on shopping sites. Here’s an overview of some of the positive comments made by buyers:
- “Bart” writes that this is the best vacuum he could find in this price range. He adds that it’s stylish, powerful and surprisingly quiet.
- Another reviewer, called “SJ,” describes the BGL3ALLGB as a “no-brainer.” He goes on to say that it easily cleans up mess on any type of floor, and that he thinks the suction power setting is a great feature.
- “Richard Probert” writes that the BGL3ALLGB cylinder vacuum beats his previous Dyson in terms of ease of use and general cleaning efficiency.
- “StarryNight” writes that the BGL3ALLGB is “incredibly effective” and the quality of the vacuum has made her switch from bagless back to bagged. She also writes that the vacuum is surprisingly light, attractive, easy to manoeuvre and has “fantastic” suction power.
- “Aggie” writes that the vacuum is effective on all floors, and that the bag can hold a large amount of dust and dirt before needing to be replaced.
And now some negative comments:
- The same “StarryNight” wrote a follow up review which praised almost every aspect of the BGL3ALLGB, with the exception that it is easily scratched.
- “Peter Maling” writes that the tools and accessories are limited compared to other cylinder vacuums (he adds that he bought a dusting head and turbo brush head separately to make up for this – and they didn’t cost much money).
If you’re looking for a compact cylinder vacuum cleaner that doesn’t cost a fortune, the Bosch BGL3ALLGB Compact could be the perfect option. It’s a stylish, powerful vacuum that has a reasonable dust capacity and relatively lightweight design. There are always compromises when you start looking at vacuums under £150, but the only glaring weakness with the Bosch is the lack of a better filter. To view the vacuum’s price, click here.