Miele Complete C3 PowerLine
- High powered cylinder with excellent suction power
- Relatively lightweight for a powerful vacuum
- Can handle any type of floor
- Automatic cord rewind
- Can be difficult to push on its highest suction setting
- No pet tool
The Miele Complete C3 PowerLine cylinder vacuum is a sleek, stylish model that’s consistently one of the most popular vacs on the market. It’s got a powerful 900W motor, which is effective at picking up dirt from carpets and hard floors, along with a large 12 metre operating radius. Not only that, but Miele have an excellent reputation for producing reliable and long-lasting vacuum cleaners.
As always, we wanted to dig deeper than just the bare features of the vacuum though. So, in this review, we’re going to look at the Miele Complete C3 in more detail – including its suction power, ease of use, filtration system and much more. If you want to see our list of the best Miele vacuums then follow the link, otherwise let’s get started!
Note: This review has been updated for the SGDF4 version of the Complete C3 PowerLine.
Overview of Miele Complete C3 Features
- The Miele Complete C3 is designed to be an all-round vacuum cleaner. The 900W motor (designed to match the performance of 1200W motors) is capable of high performance on both carpets and hard floors.
- A large 12 metre operating radius means you can clean bigger areas of your home without having to stop and change plug sockets.
- The C3 comes with an AirClean filter and sealed casing that’s effective at reducing the amount of allergens and dust released into the air.
- It is a bagged vacuum – although it uses specially designed “fleece” bags to filter more dust than basic bags.
- The bag also automatically shuts as you open the vacuum, stopping dust from being released back into the air.
- It comes with three accessories – upholstery nozzle, dusting brush and crevice tool.
In-depth Review of the Miele Complete C3 Cylinder Vacuum
The Miele Complete C3 is clearly a popular vacuum cleaner. But is that popularity deserved? Or are there better vacuums out there for the same price? Let’s take a closer look at some of the main features of the vacuum to get a better sense of its quality.
Appearance and Design
We have to say that the Miele Complete C3 is one of the best looking cylinder vacuum cleaners we’ve seen. The sleek black finish of the body, and attractive silver hose and head, match the high build quality of the vacuum.
As you would expect from a Miele vacuum, it’s also simple to use. The buttons are easy to press, including the foot-operated cord rewind, and the wide cleaning radius means you won’t need to change plug sockets as often. We also like the onboard storage for tools.
Tip: The Miele Complete C2 is a similar vacuum that’s available for a cheaper price. To learn more, read our Miele C2 vs C3 comparison.
The capacity of the Miele Complete C3 PowerLine is 4.5 litres. This is much less than the huge Numatic Henry, but still larger than many other vacuums – especially bagless vacs. It should be big enough to avoid needing to empty the vacuum after every cleaning session.
Of course, the downside of a bagged vacuum is that you’ll need to purchase additional bags. These are reasonably priced and readily available though.
Suction Power and Cleaning Performance
As you’d expect from a Miele vacuum, the Miele Complete C3 excels when it comes to suction power and cleaning performance. The floorhead is also a high-quality accessory that cleans close to the edge of skirting boards and walls. It doesn’t tend to lose suction over time, which can be an issue for cheaper bagless vacuums, and there are multiple suction settings.
The C3 is equally effective on both carpets and hard floors. This is due to a combination of strong suction and optimised airflow throughout the vacuum. In fact, you’ll often need to select a lower power mode when on carpets, as it’s usually too difficult to push. It’s great to have this suction power available for stubborn dirt though!
One of the advantages of such strong suction power is that the C3 is great for removing dust from between floorboards or on laminate. It’s also a decent choice for removing pet hair, although you might want to consider the Cat & Dog version if you have pets, as this comes with a turbo brush for improved pet hair performance.
The only drawback in terms of performance is that the C3 can sometimes struggle with larger debris when using the primary floorhead. If it starts to push the debris around, you’ll need to either switch to a different tool or slightly tilt the head.
Side note: There have been multiple iterations of the C3 PowerLine. The original version had a 2200W motor, which was then reduced to 1600W to meet EU regulations. In 2017, Miele then released a 900W C3 vacuum due to stricter EU regulations. The good news is that the vacuum still provides excellent performance, due to improved filters and bags, while using less than 50% the power of the original.
Ease of Use
With the C3, Miele have designed a cylinder vacuum that’s both versatile and easy to use. Here’s a brief run-down of some of the usability features:
- With a weight of 5.4kg, the Miele C3 isn’t as light as cordless vacuums, but it’s also not heavy.
- The vacuum has a cleaning radius of 12 metres, which is much larger than many other models. This includes a hose that stretches up to 12 metres, which is handy for staircases.
- The C3 has a “Single Touch” cord rewind function.
- The bags automatically close when the vacuum is opened, so dust doesn’t escape. This is significantly more hygienic than bagless models.
- Unlike circular vacuums, such as the Henry, the design means it can stand on steps without falling over.
- It’s also relatively easy to carry around the house.
Aside from specific features, the C3 is easy to manoeuvre around the home. It also easy to adjust the height of the telescopic tube, which is great for getting rid of cobwebs or if different members of the family will be using it.
The C3 PowerLine doesn’t come with a HEPA filter. It does, however, include an AirClean exhaust filter which helps remove dust and other allergens from the air. Like other Miele vacuums, the C3 also has a sealed design to prevent air leakage.
These features, combined with the automatic bag closing and hygienic emptying, make the C3 PowerLine a solid choice for people with mild allergies. For severe allergies, we recommend looking at models with a HEPA 13 filter.
Price and Deals
The RRP of the Miele Complete C3 is £250, which is relatively expensive for a cylinder vacuum. However, we believe that the excellent performance, design and features of the C3 make it worth this price. It’s hard to beat the C3 when it comes to cylinder vacuum performance – and it’s still considerably cheaper than high-end cordless vacuums.
Several accessories are included with the C3. These are an upholstery nozzle, dusting brush and crevice nozzle. There’s no powered turbo tool, however, which may be an issue for homes with pets.
Each of these accessories can be easily stored on the body of the vacuum, so you’ll be less likely to lose them.
- Electronic power controls to adjust the level of suction.
- SBD 290 floor head that’s suitable for both hard floors and carpets
- Comes with one bag
We think the Miele Complete C3 PowerLine is amongst the best cylinder vacuums on the market, which is why we’ve awarded it one of our highest overall ratings. It’s powerful, looks fantastic and has a reasonable dust capacity. We also like the onboard tool storage and wide cleaning radius.
The only real let down is the lack of a HEPA filter, but the AirClean filter and sealed system should be good enough for most people. It also doesn’t come with a motorised pet tool, so people with cats or dogs may want to consider the C3 Cat & Dog.
Even with these small drawbacks, the C3 PowerLine is a brilliant vacuum cleaner that’s definitely worth considering.
We're sorry you didn't find this article useful!
Please tell us how we can improve this content in the box below: