Written by James Hall | 1 Comment | Last Updated: June 23, 2017
The Dyson DC41 MK2 Animal vacuum cleaner is the second version of the excellent DC41, and comes with a range of new features. These include a more powerful brush bar and the latest Ball technology – making it an attractive model for people with pets.
But does the vacuum improve on the previous model? Does it really excel and removing pet hair from carpets and hard floors? And is it worth the relatively high price? We’ll find out in our DC41 MK2 review.
Overview of Dyson DC41 MK2
- Excellent pet hair removal due to the redesigned brush bar
- Ball technology and slim profile for extra manoeuvrability
- Turbine tool designed to remove pet hair without getting tangled
- Built with Dyson’s multi-cyclonic technology for better particle filtration and increased air flow.
- Washable lifetime filter for removing fine dust particles and allergens
- Certified as “asthma & allergy friendly” by the Allergy Standards Limited
- Combination dusting brush and crevice tool
In-Depth Look at the Model’s Features
Appearance and Design
At first glance, the DC41 MK2 Animal has the typical Dyson appearance (see our list of the best Dyson vacuums for more examples). With its see-through bin and cyclonic interior, there’s no mistaking this for any other brand.
The Ball technology is probably the most important design feature of the vacuum. This acts as a multi-directional pivot, allowing you to manoeuvre around your home without struggling to change direction. While we can see why some people consider Dyson’s Ball to be a gimmick, we think it’s a useful feature that makes a real difference to its manoeuvrability.
As you would expect from a pet vacuum, the model comes with a motorised tool for upholstery and stairs. In this case, Dyson have provided a turbine tool that’s designed to avoid tangled hair – a common problem when vacuuming homes with pets (or humans!).
This can be attached to the hose, and is built with two brushes that rotate in opposite directions. It cleans pet hair from upholstery and carpets very effectively, and much more of the hair ends up in the bin rather than tangled around the brush. We think the turbine tool is far more effective than most vacuum’s motorised tools when it comes to pet hair, and is one of the reasons we rate the DC41 MK2 Animal so highly.
We should also talk about the Dyson’s floor head. The head comes with an automatic adjustment system which seals suction on carpets while helping to prevent “sticking” even with the strong suction.
A new brush bar has also been included with the vacuum, which agitates carpet fibres noticeably more than previous model to help remove more dust, dirt and pet hair. This allows the model to rapidly pick up pet hair with fewer passes.
Like all Dyson vacuums, this is a bagless model. While bagless models are convenient and save money on bags, keep in mind that emptying them can allow some of the removed allergens to escape into the air. If you have allergies, we recommend a bagged vacuum cleaner.
Like most upright vacuum cleaners, the main body of the DC41 MK2 isn’t convenient for cleaning stairs. The good news is that the vacuum has a long hose with a telescopic wand, allowing you to reach the top of most staircases without needing to change sockets. Also, the turbine tool provides strong suction on carpets and excels at picking up pet hair.
Suction Power and Performance
As the name suggests, the DC41 MK2 Animal vacuum cleaner is built for people with pets. To serve this purpose, it comes with a range of features – but the most important is the strong suction power.
The model is built with Dyson’s Advanced Root Cyclone technology. This spins air around multiple cyclones to remove small dust particles while maintaining air flow and suction power. The result is the vacuum can hold far more dust, dirt and hair before it starts to lose suction.
Hard floor performance is excellent. The vacuum’s strong suction easily picks up small dust or dirt particles, including pet hair, with ease. The only time it struggles is with larger debris as this may not fit under the vacuum – although it does a great job on everything else.
The same can be said on carpet, although here the vacuum is more effective at picking up larger objects. Dyson claims the brush bar provides up to 20% more carpet agitation, which increases the amount of dirt removed and provides a deeper clean.
Ease of Use
- The bin comes with Dyson’s simple emptying system – just hold the canister over a bin and click the empty button.
- The extendable wand can be released instantly, making it easy to clean high places.
- The cleaner head self-adjusts (as mentioned earlier) so you don’t need to fiddle with height settings when changing floors.
- The vacuum has a relatively large cleaning radius, with a maximum reach of 14 metres.
The DC41 MK2 Animal removes microscopic dust particles and other allergens with its cyclonic technology and washable filter. While the filter needs to be washed on a regular basis and allowed to dry before using, it should last the lifetime of the vacuum.
Despite being a bagless vacuum cleaner, the model has been approved by the British Allergy Foundation. This is due to its excellent filtration system which prevents allergens being released back into the air.
As you probably expected, the DC41 MK2 is not a cheap vacuum cleaner. With an RRP of £400, it’s one of the most expensive pet vacuums we’ve reviewed.
Even so, we think the vacuum justifies its price – especially for pet owners. The turbine tool is one of the best motorised accessories on the market for pet hair, and the overall suction power is outstanding. If your budget can’t stretch this far, however, then the Vax U90-MA-Re is a cheaper (although less effective) alternative.
Along with the excellent turbine tool, the DC41 MK2 comes with a range of useful features for cleaning your home more thoroughly. It has a 4.6 metre hose integrated into the main body of the vacuum, along with a telescopic wand (with maximum length of 14.6 metres) for reaching high places.
The model also comes with a combination tool for crevices and dusting, along with a tool specifically for stairs.
Examples of Dyson DC41 MK2 Animal Reviews
Dyson DC41 MK2 Animal reviews have, on the whole, been very positive. Most buyers on shopping sites seem happy with their purchase. Here’s a selection of positive comments from reviewers:
- A reviewer writes that he didn’t realise how dirty his cream carpets were until he used the DC41 MK2. He adds that the strong suction lifts the pile, making the carpets feel more comfortable to walk on.
- Another writes that it only took one pass to remove all the black cat hair that has plagued his carpets.
- A buyer writes that the hose provides more than enough suction for cleaning pet hair on stairs.
And some negative comments:
- A reviewer writes that the vacuum is relatively heavy, making it more difficult to carry up and down stairs than lightweight models.
- The suction is so powerful, according to one reviewer, that it’s almost impossible to vacuum mats as they stick to the floor head.
- While the slimmer profile is great for stairs and storage, one reviewer mentions that this also increases the number of passes needed to clean a floor compared to the previous model.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is the Dyson DC41 MK2 Animal just for pet owners?
It’s clear from the design and name of the model that Dyson have aimed the DC41 MK2 Animal at people with cats and dogs. We think the excellent performance makes it a strong candidate to be the primary vacuum in any home though, not just those with pets.
If you’re a pet owner, the Dyson DC41 MK2 Animal is one of the best models for removing pet hair from your home. The brush bar will happily remove hair (or almost anything else) from your carpets, while the turbine tool is great for hair removal on upholstery, curtains and stairs.
In fact, the only real drawback to this vacuum is the hefty price tag – although there are often deals available. Even with the high RRP, we think the combination of useful tools, strong suction and manoeuvrable design make this one of the best pet vacuums on the market. Click here for the price of the DC41 MK2 Animal.