Written by James Hall | 0 Comments | Last Updated: March 20, 2017
The SEBO Automatic X1.1 ECO vacuum cleaner is a high powered, computer enhanced vacuum with an S-Class filtration system. It also comes with several tools – and an impressive 5-year warranty for both parts and labour.
On the surface, then, it’s an excellent vacuum – although it’s not the prettiest vacuum to look at! The X1.1 also received one of the highest average ratings we’ve ever seen for an upright vacuum on shopping sites. Even so, we wanted to look deeper into the Automatic X1.1 to see what’s included, how it performs and what exactly reviewers like about the vacuum. We’ve summarised our thoughts below – so let’s get started.
Overview of SEBO Automatic X1.1 Features
- 1100W motor that provides strong suction power.
- Computer Control System that maintains suction on a variety of surfaces – and shuts down the vacuum if it detects a blockage.
- The Automatic X1.1 vacuums effectively when flat, so you can use it to clean under furniture.
- S-Class filtration system to prevent dust particles and allergens from escaping via exhaust air.
- The SEBO Automatic X1.1 is a bagged vacuum. While this means you need to buy replacement bags, many people find bags easier to empty without mess.
- Hose and integrated wand that makes it easy to clear blockages.
- Upholstery and crevice nozzles with “onboard” storage.
- 5 year warranty for parts and labour.
In-Depth Look at the SEBO Automatic X1.1 ECO Vacuum
The Automatic X1.1 certainly looks like an impressive vacuum. This section goes into more depth about the features and performance of this vacuum, to see whether it’s an upright you might want to buy (check out our upright vacuum section for all reviews in this category).
Appearance and Design
OK, so the SEBO Automatic X1.1 looks a little like those vacuums you could buy back in the 80s. That’s not necessarily a bad thing, but it could trick some people into thinking this isn’t a modern vacuum. That would be a mistake, as it’s an excellent model that provides strong performance in most areas.
Aside from its looks, the SEBO Automatic X1.1 comes with an information display panel. This tells you, via several green lights, if the height of the machine is currently being adjusted. The panel also displays a red light when there is a problem, such as a blockage. We think this is a great feature that should prevent unnecessary damage.
According to the SEBO website, the SEBO Automatic X1.1 ECO vacuum cleaner has a generous capacity of 5.3 litres. This is considerably larger than many of the uprights we’ve reviewed, including the Vax U84-Al-Pe which received one of our highest ratings in the upright category.
What does this mean for you? A large dust capacity, such as that found on the SEBO, means you won’t have to empty the vacuum as often. This saves you money when buying new bags, and also eliminates the frustration of a vacuum that seems to be full after every cleaning session.
The SEBO X1.1 vacuum cleaner has excellent suction power. This is partly due to the 1100W motor, but also innovative design features. For example, the interior of the X1.1 has been optimised for maximum air flow, which increases suction without demanding more raw power.
It’s not all about the engine though. The X1.1 also has a computerised system for detecting the optimum brush height within the cleaning head. This means the suction power is always maximised regardless of the surface type – and you don’t need to fiddle with adjustments yourself.
In addition, the SEBO is built with strong toothed belts. These are designed to last the lifetime of the machine while increasing efficiency.
The SEBO Automatic X1.1 ECO vacuum is also great for cleaning pet hair, according to reviewers. In fact, one reviewer writes that it picks up dog hair better than his Dyson.
Ease of Use
The SEBO might not seem like it has many advanced features. But this isn’t necessarily a bad thing – as it’s been designed to be simple and easy to use. Here’s an overview of the X1.1’s usability features:
- The vacuum is able to protect itself by switching off when blocked.
- The brush rollers are designed in a “cassette style,” meaning they are easy to remove.
- You can lay the SEBO almost completely flat when cleaning under furniture.
- The X1.1’s cable is ten metres long. This allows you to clean large areas of your home without having to switch plug sockets.
- There are handles on both the front and rear of the SEBO for easy carrying.
- Most standard maintenance tasks don’t require any tools, including changing filters, replacing bags and even replacing the brush rollers.
According to reviewers, the noise of the SEBO X1.1 is around the same as other vacuums. It’s not particularly quiet, nor is it very loud.
One of the great features of the SEBO is that it comes with an S-Class filtration system. S-Class, along with HEPA, is the best type of filtration for allergy and asthma sufferers. This is because the filter prevents small particles from being released into the air.
There are actually three layers of filtration in the SEBO X1.1. The first is the company’s fleece filter bag, which stops bacteria and potentially dangerous substances from escaping. The second stage is a micro filter to prevent dust from entering the motor, and the third is found just before the exhaust.
In addition, the upright design of the vacuum forces air to flow through the micro-filter into the multiple layers of the bag. This, in contrast to vacuums that force air through the previously collected dust and dirt, allows for a continuous cleaning performance.
The RRP of the SEBO Automatic X1.1 ECO vacuum cleaner is £240, which makes it less expensive than the Dyson DC40 Multi-Floor but pricier than budget options such as the Zanussi ZAN2000A. Considering the S-Class filtration system, strong suction power and continuous suction system, we think the X1.1 provides excellent value for money.
Accessories are one area where the SEBO X1.1 is let down. It only comes with two tools – upholstery and crevice nozzles – and is a bagged vacuum so you’ll need to buy replacements. We would have liked to have seen an additional extension hose or dusting brush, although these can be bought separately if you need them.
One feature we like is the disposable bags have a disc for covering the opening, making it easy to bin them without dust escaping everywhere (which is a common problem for bagless vacuums).
- An integrated wand is included for reaching ceilings and other high areas.
- SEBO vacuums are manufactured in Germany and each is tested individually before being sold.
- Perhaps because of this stringent process, SEBO offers a 5 year warranty on parts and labour when you buy the X1.1.
SEBO Automatic X1.1 ECO Vacuum Cleaner Reviews
As we mentioned towards the start of this review, the SEBO X1.1 is one of the highest rated upright models on many shopping sites. Here are some examples of positive comments:
- A reviewer writes that she has had the SEBO for 18 months and it still performs like new. She also adds that it’s the easiest vacuum cleaner she’s ever used.
- Another writes that it’s easy to take apart the X1.1 for maintenance. Additionally, the reviewer writes that he used his old SEBO for 12 years before needing to replace it – which is an outstanding lifetime for any electric appliance.
- A buyer writes that the vacuum has excellent suction power, and is great at cleaning mess caused by her children and pets.
- A reviewer writes that it’s the best vacuum she’s ever owned. She loves how the SEBO seems to glide over surfaces despite the strong suction power.
- A reviewer praises how easy the SEBO is to empty without making a mess.
- Another writes that the SEBO X1.1 ECO is great for removing cat hair. Pet hair is a continuous menace for anyone who loves clean carpets, so it’s great to hear the X1.1 copes with it well.
And here are some negative comments:
- While a reviewer rated the vacuum five stars, he admits that it’s relatively bulky when lifting up stairs. Other reviewers mention that they’ve owned lighter vacuums in the past, but the performance more than compensates for the slight increased weight.
- A reviewer writes that the hose doesn’t stretch as much as he’d hoped.
The SEBO Automatic X1.1 ECO vacuum cleaner is one of the best uprights on the market at the moment. It’s quite a bulky model that doesn’t come with many accessories, but excels in almost every other area – including filtration and suction power. If your budget can stretch to it, we highly recommend the X1.1 if you’re looking for a straightforward, powerful vacuum for carpet cleaning. However, it doesn’t have many advanced features, so for more complex tasks it may not be the best option. For the price of this model, click here.