Numatic CVC370 Charles
- Outstanding suction power
- Large capacity for both wet and dry
- Relatively simple to switch between wet and dry
- Doesn't come with Numatic's regular cord system
- Tubes need to be manually pushed together
If you need a vacuum that can quickly switch between vacuuming dust to clearing up spills (or even unclogging a blocked sink), then the Numatic CVC370-2BL/BK Charles Wet and Dry vacuum is a model you might want to consider. It’s not a flashy model, and it doesn’t come with many advanced features. Instead, it shines because of its simplicity and powerful suction.
Numatic have an excellent reputation for manufacturing vacuums, mainly due to their famous Henry range. Fortunately, the Charles follows closely in its brother’s footsteps and combines excellent suction with a durable design.
In this Numatic CVC370-2BL/BK Charles review, we’re going to start by taking you through the main features of the machine. Next, we’ll summarise the positive and negative comments from buyers.
Overview of Numatic Charles Features
- The Charles can switch between wet and dry modes by changing the dry filter to the safety float valve.
- The tubes of the vacuum are made from lightweight aluminium to prevent rust.
- Two nozzles are included – one for carpets and hard floors, and the other for wet cleaning.
- Several other tools are included with the Charles for extra versatility, including a dusting brush.
- The Twinflo motor is highly effective at sucking up liquid spills.
- A HEPA filter is included to remove more dust and allergens and prevent them being released into the air.
- The noise level of 70dB is less than many other wet and dry vacuums.
- It has a relatively large wet capacity of 9 litres, which increases to 15 litres for dry materials.
In-Depth Look at the Numatic Charles Wet and Dry Vacuum
The Numatic Charles Wet and Dry vacuum looks like an excellent model on paper. Let’s dig deeper into the features to see how it stacks up against other models.
Appearance and Design
On the outside, the Numatic CVC370-2BL/BK Charles looks like a blue version of the classic Henry. It has the same smiling face, black lid and circular design.
It comes with two floor nozzles that can quickly be switched at the end of the hose. The first is a combination nozzle for vacuuming hard floors and carpets. The second is specifically for liquids.
To switch between dry and wet modes, you need to change the inside of the Charles. Fortunately, this is a quick process. The vacuum comes with a Tritex filtration system for dry tasks, and a float valve for liquids. Simply switching between the two allows you to tackle wet jobs with ease.
The Numatic CVC370-2BL/BK Charles wet and dry vacuum cleaner is powered by the company’s Twinflo motor. This motor incorporates two stages, with the goal of increasing suction power while lowering sound levels.
This motor provides excellent suction power down the hose due to its 1200W power. This is higher than most upright and cylinder vacuums, especially since the new EU regulations for these categories (and additional power limitations scheduled for 2017). Reviewers consistently praise the strong suction power, and mention that it provides enough power in wet mode to unblock drains, while handling pet hair with ease when in dry mode.
As we mentioned above, the Numatic CVC370-2BL/BK Charles comes with two types of filters depending on whether you need it for wet or dry use.
When in dry mode, a HEPA filter with HepaFlo dust bags is used. This reduces the amount of dust particles and other allergens escaping into the air. While a HEPA filter isn’t essential, we think it’s an important addition to a wet and dry vacuum that might be used for woodchips and other potentially dangerous substances. So we’re pleased to see a HEPA filter included with the Charles.
The dust capacity of the Numatic Charles depends on the type of cleaning. For dry cleaning, it has a large 15 litre capacity (which is considerably larger than the 9 litre capacity of the Henry). When in wet clean mode, the capacity is reduced to 9 litres – which is still relatively spacious.
Ease of Use
Numatic are well-known for manufacturing vacuums that are simple and easy to use. The Charles is no exception, with its minimalistic features and charming exterior.
The Charles also has a large cleaning range of 26.8 metres. This, combined with the capacity, means you can do a lot of cleaning without having to change plug sockets or empty the vacuum.
The CVC370 is more expensive than cheap wet and dry vacuums, but we think it justifies the extra cost. With its large capacity, excellent suction power and HEPA filter, it is one of the top models in this category. Cheaper models often have less effective filters and smaller capacities then the Charles.
Several tools and accessories are included with the Charles, such as a:
- Crevice tool
- Double taper hose adaptor
- Dusting brush
- Upholstery nozzle (plus slide on brush)
- 300mm MultiFlo wet pick up nozzle
- 300mm “Wand Dock” combination floor nozzle (for carpets and hard floors)
- Two extension tubes
These tools are fairly standard for wet and dry vacs – the Karcher WD3 P has a similar set – but they are useful to have. The tubes of the machine are built from aluminium. This reduces weight and also prevents rust – an essential feature for a wet and dry vacuum.
- 2.4 metre hose
Numatic Charles Reviews
The Numatic CVC370-2BL/BK Charles wet and dry vacuum cleaner has received a large number of positive reviews on shopping sites. Here’s a sample of some of the positive comments:
- A reviewer writes that the Charles has exceptional suction power. He adds that it is a “bargain” and, despite the basic appearance and simplistic feature set, he would always choose it over a more advanced model.
- Another writes that he’s been using his Charles for years but is still surprised by how much suction it provides. He writes that it takes less than 60 seconds to change between the float valve and dry filtration system, which means the vacuum is suitable for almost any job (including picking up hair, sucking up spills and unblocking drains).
- A reviewer writes that the vacuum is excellent at sucking up water. He now cleans his kitchen floor by sloshing bowls of water and then sucking it up with the Charles. Other positive comments from the same reviewer include that the wet filter is easy to clean and the dry cleaning mode is just as effective as the wet.
- A buyer writes that the vacuum is “robust” and simple to use. He even used it to get air locks our of his cold water system, saving the expense of a plumber.
And some negative comments:
- A reviewer mentions that the Charles doesn’t come with the useful cord storage system as other Numatic vacuums.
- The tubes of the vacuum need to be pushed together (rather than a twist mechanism). For people with arthritis in the hands, this may be an uncomfortable task.
The Numatic CVC370-2BL/BK Charles Wet and Dry vacuum is a simple, easy to use model that provides excellent suction power. Its ability to suck up both dry and wet substances also makes it a versatile option. If you want a “no-frills” machine that can handle almost any task you can throw at it, the Charles is definitely one to consider. Click for the latest Charles’ price.