Looking to buy a Miele vacuum? Here’s an overview of where Miele vacuum cleaners are produced and why they have such an excellent reputation.
Miele is one of the most well-known and respected vacuum cleaner manufacturers. The company has been producing vacuums since 1927 and regularly appears on our recommended product lists.
One of the great things about Miele is that the company produces nearly all of its own components. This allows them to focus on reliability and quality, which is why Miele vacuums are nearly always powerful and built to last.
Are Miele vacuums still made in Germany though?
The short answer is that most Miele vacuums are made in Germany (with a few components coming from Romania), although some of the company’s lower-priced models are built in China. Let’s take a closer look at where this popular company builds its vacuums.
Where Are Miele Vacuums Made?
Miele has multiple production sites around the world. At the time of writing, most of its vacuum cleaners are assembled at its Bielefeld factory in Germany. This factory also produces dishwashers and commercial sterilisation equipment.
As Miele is such a huge company, some of its vacuum components are built in other European production facilities. Here are some examples:
- Miele makes vacuum cleaner motor parts at its Euskirchen factory in Germany.
- The shiny casings found on many Miele vacuums are produced at its Warendorf factory, which specialises in plastics.
- Electric components for Miele vacuum cleaners are produced at Miele’s Brasov facility in Romania.
Not all Miele vacuum cleaners are built in Europe though. So, if you’re looking to buy a European-made vacuum, then it’s important to check where a specific model has been produced.
Notably, Miele has a factory in Dongguan, China. This factory has only been owned by Miele since 2009, and is used to produce some of the company’s cheaper vacuums. These include the Complete C2, Compact C1, and Compact C2 vacuums.
During our testing, we haven’t noticed a drop in quality or durability for Miele vacuums produced in China. The Complete C2, for example, is one of our favourite cylinder vacuum cleaners.
Miele vacuums produced in China are the most affordable options in the company’s range though, so they typically have less efficient filtration and can be a bit noisier.
Where Is Miele’s Headquarters?
Miele has its headquarters in Gütersloh in Germany. It was founded at the turn of the 20th century in Germany and has remained a family-run company.
It also has location-specific headquarters in many other countries, including the UK, Belgium, United States, France, Australia, and Canada. Miele truly is a global brand!
Which Vacuums Does Miele Build?
We’re big fans of Miele at SpotlessVacuum.co.uk. After testing various models, we’re confident in recommending Miele vacuums as being among the most reliable and powerful on the market.
A few of our favourite Miele vacuum cleaners include:
- Miele Triflex HX1 Series. The Miele Triflex is the company’s answer to the Dyson cordless range. It’s a powerful cordless vacuum cleaner with a versatile design and great cleaning performance. There are multiple HX1 models available depending on which accessories and tools you need.
- Miele Complete C2 Series. The Miele Complete C2 series provides a balance between price and performance. It has many of the features found on the C3 series, but is more affordable.
- Miele Complete C3 Series. The Miele Complete C3 is arguably the company’s flagship vacuum cleaner. It’s powerful, easy to use, and provides excellent all-round cleaning performance. Like most Miele vacuum series, there are multiple Complete C3 vacuums available with varying tools.
What Makes Miele Vacuum Cleaners Special?
As we mentioned earlier, Miele produces some of the most reliable and long-lasting vacuums. The company has a strong focus on quality, with their slogan “Immer Besser” translating to “Forever Better” in English.
Unlike many vacuum cleaner manufacturers, Miele produces almost all the components for its vacuums. Their factories also handle the entire production and testing of each vacuum. By keeping these processes in-house, rather than outsourced, Miele has been able to maintain excellent standards.
The only downside to Miele vacuums is the price. Miele models are typically more expensive than vacuums from other brands with similar features, but we think they are almost always worth the extra cost. It’s also worth noting that Miele cylinder vacuums are still much cheaper than the most expensive cordless vacuums.
Are There Any Other European Vacuum Manufacturers?
The reality of modern manufacturing means that most vacuum cleaner brands now produce their machines in Asia. For example, Dyson, Hoover, Vax, Morphy Richards, and Gtech have all moved their production away from Europe.
There are some exceptions though. Here are three vacuum companies that build their products in Europe:
- Numatic. Numatic, the company behind the Henry vacuum cleaner, are the only major vacuum brand that still manufactures in the UK.
- Vorwerk. Vorwerk produces premium vacuum cleaners that are sold via in-person sales pitches. It’s hard to find out where all Vorwerk components are made, but the vacuums are largely built in Germany.
- SEBO. All SEBO vacuum cleaners are built in German factories. If you’re looking for an upright vacuum cleaner, then SEBO are an option to consider.
While most vacuum companies have moved their production to southeast Asia, many of Miele’s vacuums are still produced in Europe. The company’s top vacuums are typically built in their Bielefeld factory, although certain components come from other European factories.
Even Miele produces some of its vacuum cleaners in China though. Lower-priced vacuums, such as the Complete C2 or Compact series, are now made at the company’s Dongguan factory.
Do you have any questions about where Miele vacuum cleaners are built? Or would you like to learn more about Miele vacuum cleaners? Let us know in the comments section below.